Lock Cut and Inventory Services by SMA
This is a topic that we’ve discussed with site owners and managers many times. Although an owner has the final decision as to who is chosen to perform the cuts, there are several advantages to hiring an outside vendor, such as yours truly, Sale Maker Auctions. Let’s go over a few of them here.
- Liability – Sale Maker Auctions is fully licensed, bonded and insured while on property. In the event one loses a finger while doing their job, the property owner is released from liability. If an employee of the company loses a finger while doing their job, there are multiple scenarios that can happen. The injured employee would have the right to file a workers compensation claim due to the injury occurring while on company time. A WC claim may lead to extended time off the job, which means 1 less employee on duty. Additionally, depending on claim history, multiple claims can lead to increased rates, and even potential loss of current provider coverage.
- Accusations – It goes without saying that buyers believe that if a site has cut their own locks, then there is probability that a unit may be compromised. This often impacts the bidding, which can also effect the auction’s gross total.
- Potential Theft – This point almost falls in line with the above accusations. It may be tempting at times, to enter a unit and poke around, “just to see” what’s in a box or behind some furniture. Some people may choose to enter, and some stay by the door. The only way to ensure that nothing was compromised, it is always best to remain at the door. Sale Maker Auctions takes this topic serious. We have a set of 5 reasons we enter a unit. We will only enter if these 5 items are viewed from the door:
1) alcohol / tobacco (retail level of it)
2) firearms (to obtain serial numbers, if any)
3) drugs / paraphernalia (to confirm, document and call authorities)
4) human remains – (to confirm only and make for auctioneer)
5) DMV lien able items, such as boats, cars, motorcycles etc (to retrieve proper ID for lien purposes)
- Mistakes and Accuracy – Obviously we are all not perfect. But we sure try to be for our clients. With our services, each client receives a detailed description which includes the Unit number, content descriptions (as seen from the door) and secured and documented numbered auction security seal. Digital photos start with doors closed and unit numbers exposed, and end with the documented security seal. Photos are uploaded, re-named according to file date and location, and stored in the cloud for safe keeping. A copy of the written inventory, along with the link to the photos are provided in the emailed inventory report to the site.
- No Tools / Supplies Needed – Sale Maker Auctions provides the necessary tools and supplies needed to meet the jobs needs. This helps to eliminate expenses on the sites end.
- Cost Effective – Our rate covers our supply cost, labor, fuel, automotive wear & tear, bridge tolls and supplies and often expensive equipment replacement. Our rates have remained the same for 10 years. The expenses are the burden of ours, not the facility. If equipment breaks, then it is our responsibility to repair it. (saves site money)
- Increased Bids – Yes, you read that right. Paying attention to details the most important part of our job. Essentially the facility is relying on us and the auctioneer to bring in the buyers and market the units correctly so the lost rent can (hopefully) be recouped, right? Over the years we’ve established relationships with buyers who have different tastes in unit inventories. When we see an item in a unit that we know a buyer collects, then who exactly who to market that unit to. We highlight those wanted items and contact the buyer(s) in mind. It’s easy for a site employee to overlook these details. It’s heartbreaking to open a unit at auction only to find it full with very expensive Harley Davidson memorabilia, (example) and not be aware of it. This is another example of what we can do for a facility when they utilize our services.We understand that often the hesitation is related to cost. We hope that after reading even a few of these key points, that perhaps more pro’s then con’s will come to mind. Providing our clients the best services possible is our priority. If we can be of service to you, then please give us a call. Now through December 31, 2018 we are offering a 1 time introductory discount for first time customers. Book lock cut or DMV Services (1 DMV Lien only) and receive 50% off of those services.